Saturday, April 05, 2008

40 years after

Read Perspective from Roldo Bartimole -- 1968 - The Year That Changed It All
Here's a reprise of America's last "nervous breakdown" 40 years ago, told from the perspective of a guy 15 years my senior (his birthday is today, by the way) who was already involved in the pursuit of a conventional lifestyle. The events of 1968 changed everything--Roldo's life, my life, all our lives. Our entire culture flipped in the matter of a couple of years, and it's never been the same since. I feel the same stirrings today. I hear the same rumblings. I sense the same undercurrents.

And I'm ready to roll with it. This time, I expect I won't have to sit on the sidelines in uniform while politicians control my destiny. I'm not planning on making the same mistakes twice.

No comments:

Post a Comment