Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Workshop targeted to individuals in career transition - www.jumpstartyourjobsearch.eventbrite.com

Here's an email I got yesterday from our Table VII/Founders' Café friend David Akers, who now happens to be collaborating with one of our friends from the Women's Enterprise Network, Kathy Miracle. I'll post the attachment, the Seminar Flyer, separately.

Greetings and salutations,

Over the past 12 months or so, I have received resumes forwarded by many of you of friends, colleagues, and new acquaintances that are networking as part of a job search. It is my practice, as Dave Janus well remembers, to meet someone new each week and “Pay it Forward” to the extent that I can help that person in their respective endeavors. So the forwarded resumes, the volume of which at times is overwhelming, are welcomed nonetheless as a way for me to meet one of my civic and professional commitments.

Along the way, in dozens of meetings, I began noticing that I was doing far less connecting of people and much more coaching. The people with whom I met needed a lot of help in being more effective in networking, in making it easy for others to help them, and in learning how to follow up in a meaningful way. I started having the meetings in my office, with access to a whiteboard, rather than at the nearest coffee shop. And I began drawing the same four drawings, over and over again.

The response from job-seekers was overwhelming – thank you for showing me such simple tools to accelerate my networking and my job search; I never thought about doing those things; it’s so easy to make it easy for people to help me; I wish I’d known these tools years ago, etc., etc.

Then Kristopher McCrone (who has coached literally thousands of people through interviewing effectively) approached Katherine Miracle (who works with individuals to help them package a prospective hire’s Return on Investment for an employer), Jeff Nischwitz (who is one of the most effective networkers around), and me about putting together a short seminar to help people seeking jobs in today’s tough economic environment. Each of us brings specific tools and practices to the table, and each of us has a commitment to helping job seekers be more effective and succeed.

We are holding our first workshop on April 2, 2009, at Lockkeepers in Independence. Registration begins at 7:30 AM and the event runs from 8 AM to 11:30 AM. I’ve attached a flyer that provides an overview of the event itself and registration details. You can also go to www.jumpstartyourjobsearch.eventbrite.com for more information.

My guess is that each of you, like me, is besieged with resumes right now from friends and colleagues and others, all seeking your assistance. Please send them a copy of this email and encourage them to leverage what they will learn in this workshop to take control of their career search. They can’t know what they don’t know about seeking a job until they attend this session.

Thank you for your consideration.
DJA

David J. Akers
President, Celeritas Limited
5422 East 96th Street, Suite 150
Cleveland, OH 44125
p 216.839.1500 c 216.280.5801
f 216.503.4247 e dja@celeritasltd.com

No comments:

Post a Comment