Saturday, September 16, 2006

Interjunk and MySpace

The Story Behind MySpace - New York Times:

Interesting story.

"This week, Valleywag, a Silicon Valley gossip blog, published Mr. Lapinski’s long, critical examination of MySpace. According to Mr. Lapinski and Nick Douglas, Valleywag’s editor, an unidentified “online publisher” that had contracted Mr. Lapinski to write the article balked based on “groundless legal implications” after News Corporation complained (valleywag.com). Mr. Lapinski said the News Corporation declined to comment on his article.
But News Corporation is not the focus. It is the tale of MySpace’s founders, who, according to Mr. Lapinski’s report, came from companies involved with spam, spyware and adware."


Judging from my recent adware and spam experiences with MySpace, I'd say they still are involved heavily with this internet junk--MySpace, for my money, is an interjunk magnet, to be consciously avoided.

3 comments:

  1. between you and me Tim, I hate MySpace. I'm sitting here minding my own business and then "ding" - I get a Myspace email:

    (about 2 years ago - this guy talked me into having a MySpace site for the band - big mistake)

    "so and so is sending you a MySpace comment - message" I have to click over, log in, wait, sort through ads, attempted pop ups, etc, only to find out that somebody I don't even know, have never met "wants to be my friend". With the understanding that they only want to be my friend so that I'll be theirs and add to their mounting list of "so and so" has 1,496 Friends. I have enough trouble keeping up with my own real-life friends, let alone virtual friends.

    And what's up with Tom?

    There I said it...

    I feel a bit better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he either died or is incarcerated. I don't know. I haven't been keeping up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MySpace had some potential, particularly for bands and small businesses, but boom -- it's become so polluted I can scream!

    Interjunk says it all.

    ReplyDelete