Tuesday, March 21, 2006

brain farts?

I got this short treatise from an old friend yesterday on the topic of brain farts, that evanescent, highly personalized commodity fueling all blogs, journals, newspaper columns, and The Next Great American Novel. I guess it's just that some are stronger and more persistent than others.

I'll be honest - the thing I don't get about blogs is, basically, who gives a shit what most people think? It's so...solipsistic...just because you own a computer, do I have to be privy to every brain fart you have? I'm sounding like a real luddite here of course - but I personally think blogs are a fad, and there's so much noise, with volume (sorry, crappy pun) increasing hourly...Maybe I should start a blog about blogs...so all the antibloggers could blog about blogs. And Wiki's. And the next cutesy bullshit thing that's coming our way, courtesy of the internet. Oh..maybe one day we'll have to get a permit, like you do to drive or get married. Control the masses somehow.

3 comments:

  1. Tim, what I always think when I read comments like that is, if a person is so unhappy with something, or so dislikes something, or thinks something is so idiotic, why do they bother spending any energy on that something at all - i.e., reading blogs or about blogs, writing on someone else's blog, or otherwise taking energy to communicate their opinion about how idiotic it is that others want to...voice...their...opinion? Hmm - something seems awfully circular about their argument, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill--

    I've known this guy for years--he's not really unhappy--he's just not really and truly happy until he's arguing, and that's why he thinks in extremes--and yes, there is definitely a circular aspect to all that transpires in such rants--kind of like a high-school newspaper editorial

    ReplyDelete