Wednesday, November 12, 2008

to profess the law

I was having a discussion with my older daughter about friends in the legal profession, and it reminded me that I had just run across this old DOONESBURY clipping on the hard drive--I think I used it for a talk years ago.

This is one of my favorites, and I wanted to share it. Somehow, it just tickled me years ago, and still does. I bombed the LSAT in 1968 after a full sleepless night of revelry. I couldn't get serious about it then, and can't now.

It's interesting to me how the learned professions have come under fire these past few generations. Whether they ceded their status or had it taken from them would make for an interesting discussion. Could it merely be a function of supply exceeding demand, of too many people thinking they should be something they're really not suited to be, or don't actually want to be?

How many are attracted to the bar for the same reasons they are motivated to take karate classes, like self-defense and the concomitant powers to intimidate and inflict?

Posted by Picasa

1 comment: