Friday, August 18, 2006

Dvorak dredges up my past


Elvis predicted the dot-com crash - MarketWatch--I had no idea that John C. Dvorak also wrote material for MarketWatch. I also failed to note the passing of the Elvis death anniversary this year, until he reminded me of it. At the time, I was working one of my three Atlanta boom-time jobs, this one at a liquor store on the Buford Highway, babysitting my 10-month-old daughter, who was wearing a sunbonnet and sitting on the counter next to the cash register, when the news hit and the world stopped for a moment. Then it began buying liquor, beer, and wine again. I forget exactly how the register tapes read that night, but I think we had a really good finish to the sales day. Somehow, this is a poignant memory, a placemark. I had no idea that Dvorak had any evocative value, either.

2 comments:

  1. that dancin' Elvis is freaking me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the thing is giving me some afterimages, too, and that's sometimes still mildly disturbing to me because years ago I was "sensitized" by a couple of my "friends," Pat and Xerpha Borunda, who benevolently loaded my after-hours coffee up with all sorts of mind-expanding things. They were evangeligal about peyote, mescaline, and LSD as shortcuts to elevated consciousness. I believe that, back in the day, we used to call what you're seeing with the dancing Elvis "followups."

    ReplyDelete